Why The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 matters for your business?
A look at employee health & safety in numbers.
In 1974 working in the UK became a whole lot safer as then Secretary of State Michael Foot introduced the Health and Safety Act 1974. Although today the Health and Safety Act is an integral part of any reputable business, this Bill only got passed on its third attempt through Parliament. The difference it has made since then is substantial to say the least.
As a private or public organisation in the UK today your employees and your business reap the benefits of this legislation. Helping ensure you continue to do so by staying compliant are health and safety companies, including Bison Assist.
Why does The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 matter so much?
Taking a look at some of the numbers to come out of the UK’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reveals just how important this decades’ old piece of legislation is to the wellbeing of your employees:
- since 1974 the number of fatal injuries to employees has dropped by a staggering 85%
- since the mid-1980s the number of non-fatal injuries reported by employees has dropped by almost 60%
- since 1990 the number of musculoskeletal disorders reported by employees has dropped by half
- since 1990 work-related ill-health reported by employees has dropped by a third
Staying compliant with The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 has clearly improved the lives of the UK working population. A healthier, happier workforce ultimately means your organisation is more likely to succeed. On the flipside, failure to comply with this legislation leads to employee injuries, fatalities and hefty fines.
Making the right choice
Staying compliant without the assistance of health and safety companies who have an in-depth knowledge of health and safety legislation and how to meet its exacting requirements is a risk that is simply not worth taking. But with so many health and safety companies to choose from, who should you turn to for your health and safety audit?
At Bison Assist, we’re certain we’re the right choice and here’s why:
- we provide services nationwide so we can get to you wherever you are in the UK
- we have years of experience across a range of business, so we understand the challenges you are facing
- we provide unbeatable discounts when you choose us for multiple services
- our highly skilled assessors have a reputation for being friendly, professional and thorough in their work
- we give reasonable and practicable advice, so you understand what is expected from you in terms of minimising and managing the risks in the workplace.
- we provide a comprehensive health and safety audit to help you meet HSE and CQC, so you won’t ever have to worry about compliance again
Get a free quote for your health and safety audit with Bison Assist.Back to News